Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as antiques collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

I am trying to find out who the subject of my painting is

Customer Question

Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry my photo wasn't added
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

This is a modern portrait (less than 50 years) done of a 17th subject, a portrait of Sir Walter Raleigh.

Thanks,

Wayne

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply Wayne. I've looked through other portraits and this doesn't look like Sir Walter Raleigh to me. I've also never seen him painted without a beard. Could you please tell me how I can ask another expert, to see if they have any other ideas? Kind regards
Expert:  Tim in Appraisals replied 1 year ago.

My guess is El Greco

Doménikos Theotokópoulos, most widely known as El Greco, was a painter, sculptor and architect of the Spanish Renaissance. The nickname "El Greco" refers both to his Greek origin and Spanish citizenship.

Timothy