Rarewares
Rarewares, Other
Experience:  Appraiser
68269273

I have a cup trophy with the inscription "PRESENTED BY CLEGG

I have a cup trophy with the inscription "PRESENTED BY BENJAMIN CLEGG ESQ. COVENT GARDEN LONDON,TO LEEDS AND DISTRICT MARKET GARDENERS ASSOCIATION, 1928"
There is some faint writing showing below the engraving which suggests it was previously used for some other horticultural award.
The hallmark shows a crown, a lion, a flag with W & H, and between the lion and the flag what seems to be a small Greek "i", which I think would date the original about 1903. The separate plinth shows 5 names, the last 2 of which are dated 1932 and 1934, both of which have the name of my late wife's grandfather, Benjamin Stringer.
Overall, including the plinth, it measures 30cms. high. The bowl is 12 cms wide and 13cms high. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to whether this has any reasonable value?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the trophy cup and the marks and writing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 photographs enclosed
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is a sterling silver trophy cup made by Walker and Hall of Sheffield, England with a lower case l, being

the date code for 1928 which fits with timeline of the presentation of the trophy.

This trophy cup has a current value of £230 to £300 in retail value.
To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit submit, thanks!