mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My AUDI A4 roof will not operate and I have had a car garage

Customer Question

My AUDI A4 roof will not operate and I have had a car garage scan it and i the fault code 'terminal 87' is shown can you offer me any advice on how to clear it.

Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Shantel,

Yes I will wait and would appreciate it if you could find an answer to my problem.I 'll try to give you as much background as possible.

My Audi A4 S Line developed a leak a couple of months ago due to blocked drain holes under the hood at the back causing water damage in the passenger footwell and loads of electrically problems followed ( windows/hood wouldn't work) .I was able to clear out the water and clear the drain traps and dry out area. Everything seem to be working until recently the hood stop operating so i took it to the garage to have it scanned to find the fault. The computer presented the fault code 'Terminal 87' which i suspect is a power supply failure from one of the electrical contactors possibly corroded due to the water damage. Also when i try to operate the roof the dashboard management area responds with ' unable to operate softtop'.

I hope you can give me some guidance and help.

Sam mcdowell

Hello Sam,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have managed to ascertain that i have primary power to the hydraulic pump but there is no control signal to operate the pump solenoid. I dont seem to be able to find j256 which is the CONTROL UNIT for the pump.

Can you help with this.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Hello Sam,

I have sent a message to a Professional who may be able to assist you.

Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer/Pearl. My name is Mike, I will
do my very best to assist you with your question today.

I have ran in to this issue before and the terminal 87 code is for the relay inside the convertible top module.There are 2 relay inside the module.The relays are not serviceable and requires replacement of the module.The water most likely caused the relay damage.When the module is changed out a dealer scan tool will be needed during the replacement and install.