mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

HI - HOW DO I RESET ELECTRIC ROOF ON 1996 AUDI A4 CABRIOLE

Customer Question

HI - HOW DO I RESET ELECTRIC ROOF ON 1996 AUDI A4 CABRIOLET?
Category: Audi
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer/Pearl. My name is Mike, I will
do my very best to assist you with your question today.

With the ignition off.

Remove the osf dash end cap where the fuse box is and there at the side of the fuse box is the release tool.

On the front cross member above the interior mirror there is a square plastic blank

flick the blank out and insert the tool until the cog engages the motor and turn the red part of the tool handle to engage the tool into the motor

turn the tool anti clockwise to release the top locks and the roof will pop up.

Remove the tool and get a second person to lift the roof slowly from the opposite side of the vehicle until front section of the roof is pointing upwards and at the same time lift the rear part of the roof up.

Second person hold the roof in this position and pop the rear seat center section out.

The tool is needed again and it locates inside the ski hatch facing upwards

push the tool upwards again until you locate the motor and repeat the process for the front lock

the roof box will pop up and you need to lift the lid upright and slowly allow the roof to collapse into the storage box.

Close the lid and lock the motor with the tool then unlock the motor

lift the lid and lift the roof slowly until the front section is pointing at the sky and then shut the lid down and lock the motor.

Allow the front section to drop into the front locks and lock the motor

the roof has been opened and closed so the lock micro switches should have reset.

Turn the engine on and open the roof fully then close it fully and that's should do it

if the operation is still faulty then there is a fault and a scan tool will be needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks, but are you sire this is for an 'n' reg? there is no cog in the ski holder for any tool to engage, thanks
Ok if your model is not equipped with this feature the only way to reset this is to have the use of a dealer scan tool,this is how the system would be checked for faults and reset.