David-VAG
David-VAG, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've been working within the Audi group for over 10 years diagnosing and repairing them
27984060

I have recently purchased an Audi A3 T registered in the UK

Customer Question

I have recently purchased an Audi A3 T registered in the UK (1999-2000) 28,000 miles Automatic 1,600i

The footbrake light will not go out when you try to move out of park and therefore the car is stuck in park.

Is this a known issue please.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How much longer will it be before i get a response
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We can not predict or guarantee response time, just because the volume of questions, number of professionals online, complexity of questions, and other factors vary. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  David-VAG replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome to just answer

Sorry for the delay in asnwering your question.

The first thing to check when this happens is to see if the brake lights work when you put your foot on the brake pedal. The selector relies on the signal from the brake light switch to allow you to move the gear selector. If the all the brake lights fail to come on then you are more than likely looking at a fault with the brake light switch and these are known to play up.

I hope this helps and if I can help you further please feel free to ask.

Dave

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Brake lights are fine. the issue is the brake indicator in the automatic transmission between park and reverse
Expert:  David-VAG replied 4 years ago.

Hi if the brake lights are working ok then the next thing to have done is to have the fault memory of the automatic transmission checked for fault codes. Or check the fuses and live feeds to the brake indicator light by the gear lever. I'm able to supply you with a wiring diagram if you would like one to help with this?

Dave