Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi All, Please can someone help.........? I have an A5

Customer Question

Hi All,

Please can someone help.........?

I have an A5 with intermittent ignition problems.

Every now and then the ignition key fob stops working...!

Sometimes it takes a few seconds of repeatedly pressing the unlock button, and re-inserting the keyfob other times it can take hours..........

It only usually happens in awkward places i.e. at the petrol station when there is a queue behind me.......

What makes it worse is that the handbrake won't release unless ignition is on, so I can't even push it out of the way...

I am hoping that someone can help??????

I have tried re-setting the key but that doesn't work.

Here is the youtube link to a vid of it doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK7Yz9TMDZ0
Category: Audi
Expert:  stelol1 replied 4 years ago.

Sorry to hear of your troubles but hopefully I can help.

When the problem occurs and you put the key in the ignition do you have any lights on the dashboard? Are any of your accesories working? radio etc.

Is the problem live now?

If so or next time it happens can you disconnect the negative (-) cable (the black lead) from your battery for a minute or two then reconnect it and try starting the car?

Let me know what happens, thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply,

The Radio works without the ignition. Nothing else works without the ignition.

No lights on the dashboard.....

When the problem fixes itself, the normal sequence is:

Put keyfob into ignition barrow, all lights on dashborad illuminate, the dials wind up and down and the car is ready to start.

Please view the video I put on youtube

I will try disconnecting the negative cable for a few minutes as you suggested.

If this works and temporarily fixes the problem, what coould be the source of the problem?

Many thanks,

Rob

Expert:  stelol1 replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rob,

I remember a while back that VW passat had an issue very similar to the one that you describe. When the battery was disconnected and connected again the car would start as normal. I think it was down to an issue with the ignition switch module not recognising that the key had been taken out of the ignition when the car was finished with and then the next time the car was to be used the module was confused thinking that a second key was being inserted so wouldn't start the car. Im not saying that this is the issue with your car but if it starts after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery (at least it gets you mobile again) but the similarity of the faults could require the services of the main dealer.

Please let me know how you get on.

Steve

PS I saw your video on utube, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response.

The car randomly started today without me having to do anything. I cleaned my boot out to get to the battery and thought i would just try it again first and it worked.That is the problem, - it can happen at anytime and leave me stranded from 5 seconds to days on end.....

I took my car in for a service at Audi last month and played them the video that i put on youtube. Their service bloke looked for a possible fault but couldnt find anything wrong. They have not seen this problem before.

I have posted the issue on Audi forums and no one has come back with the answer, hense why i though i would try this website as if I cant get a free answer, I dont mind paying for it :).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Could not answer my question as fault is not very common
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
The expert that I was dealing with could not answer my question.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I will continue to wait for a little longer please. I want to find the answer and I know it is a tough one.

Thank you for your patience, we will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.