Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

ive just been told that the timing chain has broken in my audi

Customer Question

ive just been told that the timing chain has broken in my audi a5 1.8 58 plate the garage said the cost for replacing this item would be over £ 6000 as they have to replace the entire engine i thought the timing chain would last a lifetime
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

Yes a timing chain should last the life of the engine - typically about 150K miles

this is providing oil changes have been performed on time and with the correct oil

there have been issues with the timing chain tensioner on these engines so if the engine was rattling away for some time before hand then that was the clue something needed doing

if the car has a full Audi service history then its well worth contacting Audi customer service to see if they will contribute towards the cost

https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/contact-us/customer-services/contact-form.html

Also I'd seriously consider a good used engine from a crashed car as this will substantially reduce the cost of the repair - I 'd epxect ot pay about £1500 for a used engine plus a days labour to exchange the units