Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a6 allroad 2007 3.0l. And the N/S fan runs very noisily

Customer Question

I have a6 allroad 2007 3.0l. And the N/S fan runs very noisily and keeps running for 60seconds after engine switch off even after a 10 second engine run
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

if the fan is going flat out after just a 10 seconds run then its not overheating, I suspect that there's a problem with the fan control unit on the back of the fan

however the main fan is also prone to getting jammed up with a piece of rubber trim that comes adrift so reach into the engine bay and grab hold of the blade of the back-side fan (with the ignition OFF, of course). If it will not spin freely when applying finger pressure, it also has probably "failed in the normal manner" and is jammed up by a small piece of rubber trim stock that has slipped. Find the jam, remove it, assure a free spinning blade and the fan is PROBABLY still good. Historically, the control module will fail and "protect" the fan (although it can also fail WITHOUT the fan being jammed).

You can then decide to replace the control module or not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response. I checked both fans, I don’t know which one is the main fan but it’s the near side fan that turns, the passenger side fan which protrudes further out from the cowling than the other. I have turned them both and they both seem to be spinning freely. If it’s the module, how do you replace it? Is the control module situated at the back of the motor or somewhere else in the car? If you can let me know please?

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello Andrew

the module is on the vertical frame next to the radiator on the driver's side. Drop the engine belly pan and look up. It's a rectangular box with a wiring harness attached. You can get it out without pulling thebumper off but installation is not easy.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi. Yes, I found your answers useful but unfortunately I’m unable to try the information out on the car but it seemed sensible what he said. I would like to pay but obviously there might be a further question afterwards about this specific issiue, is that ok?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Andrew

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello Andrew

you can rate my answer at any point and the question will remain open for a short while,

so get back to me when you can