AudiDoc
AudiDoc, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Independent European garage owner. Over 20 years experience
14582033

I have an Audi A8 L. It is a 2006 plate model. At low speed

Customer Question

I have an Audi A8 L. It is a 2006 plate model.
At low speed I keep getting an annoying beep and a message saying "ESP Fault. Refer fro owners manual "
What is causing this? The car drives ok but it is very annoying
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Jason and will be helping you with your A8 question.

Now, I'm assuming that you don't have the VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda scan tool available to you so that you can retrieve the fault codes from the ABS/ESP module. I can still give you some potential fault areas, but the most efficient way of getting to the bottom of this problem is having a fault code scan. Would you like me to continue on, and offer some advice?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes please.
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 4 years ago.
Ok, typically an ESP (system that controls traction and skid control)fault, is caused by a failed sensor of some sort. There are quite a few sensors that monitor your vehicle's state while driving.

There are 4 wheel speed sensors, a longitudinal and lateral acceleration sensor, throttle pedal and throttle body sensor, and steering angle sensor. A fault with any one of these sensors or electrical circuits will trigger the ESP light that you're seeing, which then requires a scan tool specific to Audi/VW to be able to retrieve these fault codes. This doesn't necessarily mean an Audi dealer, as most good shops who specialize in Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda will have this equipment.