Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

if I put 3l of petrol in my diesel audi a6 by mistake will

Customer Question

if I put 3l of petrol in my diesel audi a6 sline lemans by mistake will it be ok to just brim it with diesel or should I get it drained?

Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

How much was in the tank gauge wise before filling with petrol/miles to empty etc?

Have you run your vehicle and how did it run?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it had about 3l left in the tank, yes it has been run it seems ok but not sure as ive read a lot about common rail engines not accepting the smallest amount of petrol?

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for getting back..

As long as you brim the tank fully with diesel that should be enough to help dilute what you have in regards XXXXX XXXXX and keep the injectors/pump etc lubricated..you really need to keep filling the tank so once you come to pretty much half way or below then fill it back right up again so your continually diluting it down till its all burnt off.you may have to do that a few times aswell as add a good diesel fuel injector cleaner each time ie:- "forte diesel injector treatment"..you may also hear the engine more or combustion noise wise during this as petrol doesn't burn as well or correctly anyway..there are lot of myths/miss information on forums.Yes a vast amount of petrol over actual diesel in the tank and the engine run - will eventuall cause running issues and pretty much damage or destroy the injection system pump/seals/injectors etc and wear it out or wash the internal lubrication away that the diesel offers,as petrols basically a solvent,spirit. there's no doubt about it or even if the car will get at least a few miles down the road before cutting out and that's that.....However if you have any worries then by all means get the fuel drained..if you haven't brimmed the tank as of yet then this might be good time to get it done if you wish since it saves wasting a whole tank of diesel.once its drained then just brim it add the injector cleaner as above - and you shouldn't have any issues/worries at all..but like I say - you have two options either keep brimming the tank and adding the cleaners and let it burn off or if you wish just opt to get the tank drained now,the AA and such like have mobile services that can help drain off the fuel due to missfuelling so if your with any of those then they maybe able to help..i do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I resolved the problem myself as it took a long time to get any answers thanks

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there ..

I see you rated me bad service.?? and I see you rated me bad service because I had taken 26 minutes after your last post to reply to you?

your question :- 10/06/2013 at 22:19

my reply :- 10/06/2013 at 23:34 (1 hour and 15 minutes and 21 seconds later)

your reply :- 11/06/2013 at 09:55 (10 hours and 20 minutes and 47 seconds later)

my reply :- 11/06/2013 at 10:21 (26 minutes and 23 seconds later)

your reply :- 11/06/2013 at 20:00 (9 hours and 38 minutes and 46 seconds later)

if you look over the times above you'll see the fault isn't with me im afraid..i do hope you would reconsider your rating..and if you do- your more than welcome to return should need ask anything else..