Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have replace rear discs on 2001 audi a4 avant but the abs

Customer Question

I have replace rear discs on 2001 audi a4 avant but the abs light remains lit do i need to replace abs toner rings or does it need to be reset on computer ?

Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

Was the abs light on before you replaced the discs on the back?

Have you visually inspected them "the rings" for defects/cracks?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes amber brake light was lit and pads were worn so to the discs.but now abs light also shows as well as a larger red warning and beep about 3 mins after driving off. The rings had only rusting but no cracks we cleaned up the rings a little .

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..there sorry for delay..

Ok..Yes usually cleaning is best way first as this can often show up any defects better - if your sure the reluctor rings are ok on the rear..2001 is roughly the change over from mk1 to mk2 a4 i do know if i recall these discs on the rear come with the bearing housing and thus some come with new rings on them on the inner side of the disc think the B5 mk1 a4 was like that but the B6 mk2 is differant as you dont need to remove the hub/breaing with the disc and the ring is just in at the back or infront of the backing plate....I would imagine then its going to be elsewhere the fault.could be one of the sensors on the rear that maybe developed at fault or the rings on the rear indeed need to be replaced or the problems on the front etc..hard to say really without some sort of diagnostic monitoring..in which the machine is plugged into the DLC socket and the car driving watching the live data reading you should be able to narrow down the fault or if a code is stored within the fault memory in the abs system then that maybe give a better idea which corner or side or what/which part of abs system is seeing as faulty..I do hope this helps