Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I Have a 57 plate A6. At very low speeds and low revs there

Customer Question

I Have a 57 plate A6. At very low speeds and low rev's there is a noise and vibration from the steering. Only when at crawling speeds, ie going in and out of parking psaces is the only time it is a problem.

There are no warning lights to suggest low power steering fluid etc
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

I'd start by checking the fluid level in the reservoir - this should be done with a warm engine and after driving a short distance

if this level is OK then I'd suggest to try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for this,

the fluid is over the minimum level. Is removing the auxiliary drive pump an easy job, or is it the sort of thing I should be sending it to a VAG for. If so, how many hours do you think it would be for someone to look at that. Trying to think of potential costs

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello Coridon

its about 1.5 hours labour to remove and refit a steering pump and parts would be around £200

its a quite easy job if you are considering doing the work yourself