Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

hi when starting my audi a4 after sitting all night i am getting

Customer Question

hi when starting my audi a4 after sitting all night i am getting a screeching sound that stops when you rev to 1600 rpm also stops after the car gets warm.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

From your description this could well be the auxiliary belt - Usually this can be more noticeable when first starting up or at idle when the engines cold.then when you press the throttle - the noise starts to fade and stops and then returns until of course the engine has warmed up/belt even and you don't hear it anymore until the next morning etc...That can be an indication that the belt could be is loose "faulty tensioner" or wearing out or running out of alignment caused by a faulty pulley or one of those pulleys are a little seized causing the belt to slip/run over the offending sticking pulley and the only way to check that is to remove the belt and check each pulley by hand that the belt runs over ..you can also check with the engine off.the tension on the belt to see if it is loose and feel for any missing areas of the ribbed part of the belt/cracking - there should be a little play but not over excessive..Whilst the engines running make further checks/listen wise "as and when it happens" and try to locate the noise too and listen to area where the belt is..i would assume this is why the garage can't hear anything as and when its in there hands..As above it would certainly be the best place to check seeing as you don't mention what checks that garage has done already to this point..I do hope this helps