Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Audi TT 2000 1.8 the outside temperature reading in

Customer Question

I have a Audi TT 2000 1.8 the outside temperature reading in the console can start at +58 c and then drop to -40 c during driving. The front sensor behind the bumper has just been changed and its still doing this
Category: Audi
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi ..

This will happen if the wiring has a short this could most likely be in the connection on the sensor itself ,a common problem .
What happens when the wiring has a break in the wiring harness or a short the wiring is open and the ECM thinks you are at -40c

First pull off the connector off the sensor then read the temp, then get a wire and jump the two pins in the connector and read the temp again, then let me know what the reading are .

Regards Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

for your info I forgot to mention the clocks ( cluster) had been taken out and the temp for the engine had been repaired. All the others gaugues where working properly. Before I start taking it apart could it be something that was caused when the cluster was put back in. Ie could it be a programming error and can it be fixed by a plug in device it was and be reprogrammed?

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi Simon ,,

What gauges are not working or should i say what are the gauges doing ,

Greg