Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an 2003 audi tt 225 ,if the car is ticking over for

Customer Question

I have an 2003 audi tt 225 ,if the car is ticking over for a few mins smoke is seen for a few seconds when I drive off .what is the cause of this please
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

is the car using any water ?

you say oil use is not excessive , how much of a litre per 100 miles?
what colour is the smoke?

does the car sometimes lack performance?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mat,

The car does not use any water.

The smoke is a pale grey colour,and does not smoke when being driven, but it does smoke after idling for a few minutes

Smoke is only observed for a few seconds when the car first pulls away , after that it does not smoke .

The car has been ok for performance, but the last time I drove it was seriously down on power . 0 to 60 about 15 seconds .

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control (N75) solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues
Also have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running

also check that the vacuum hose running to the dump / turbo bypass valve is intact with no leaks as if the dump valve is opening prematurely you'll be losing all your boost

If this is OK then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal