Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

My Audi a4 tdi 1997 model has a few warning light problems.

Customer Question

My Audi a4 tdi 1997 model has a few warning light problems. Firstly the fuel warning light is on and the tank is over half full, secondly both speedo and rev counter are not working, thirdly handbrake light will not go off. Could this be something as simple as a faulty relay or something more serious. I have checked the fuse box and none have blown. I should be greatful for any insight or help sorting this out.
Martin.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello Martin,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Shantal, I am happy to wait for an answer as a friend has loaned me a car for a few days.

Hello Martin,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello Martin and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

The most likely cause for such faults would be the instrument cluster itself.

I would remove the cluster, check the wiring at its back, and then, if the problem persists, you would need to replace or fix. I would call: bba-reman.com as they should be able to fix your existing cluster. While at it, check the brake fluid, and make sure the handbrake is fully released. If, after fixing the cluster you still have problems (fuel light or other), we will tackle those separately, but fixing the cluster will most likely cover all those issues.

Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed, so we proceed accordingly.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Billy

Many thanks for getting back to me .... what exactly is the instrument cluster, and where is it, please? What am I looking for - blown fuses? Very grateful to you, and look forward to your response.

Martin

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello Martin,

The instrument cluster is the part of dash that contains the gauges (speedometer, temp gauge, fuel gauge etc...). A blown fuse, is a fuse that melted:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

On the left a blown fuse, on the right a good fuse.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Billy sorry not to have responded till now, as yet I have not had a chance to strip out the dash. It looks like a major job but as soon as I have done it I shall come back to you.

Best regards Martin.

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello Martin,

Please take your time.... and get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Billy

I finally got the cluster out and checked the connections, no visible signs of disturbance. When all was put back, the warning lights remain on and the only difference now is the alarm now comes on(which never worked before) and the central locking does not work.

Any thoughts?

Best regards Martin.

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello Martin,

The most likely fault would be a faulty instrument cluster.

I would send it to bba-reman.com as they woudl check and fix as necessary.

Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed, so we proceed as necessary.

Regards,
Billy