David-VAG
David-VAG, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've been working within the Audi group for over 10 years diagnosing and repairing them
27984060

i have audi a6 tdi 2004 automatic triptronic, prnds light

Customer Question

hi, i have audi a6 tdi 2004 automatic triptronic, prnds light flashing..car has no power. what could be wrong? engine is sound perfect,,,dont know what happen to gearbox

Category: Audi
Expert:  David-VAG replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer

If the PRNDS sign is flashing this means there is some sort of fault on the gearbox side of things. To find out more you will need to have the fault memory of the gearbox control unit checked for fault codes. Once you have this information you should be able to have the fault diagnosed a lot easier.

Most garages now have equipment to read fault memories on cars so you don't have to go to Audi if you didn't want to,

I hope this helps and if I can help further please feel free to ask

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello,

what could be the wrong???any obvious reasons???

Expert:  David-VAG replied 3 years ago.

Hi without having the fault memory checked it is impossible to say what has gone wrong. Sometimes it can be something really cheap and easy to fix and other times it can be a bit more expensive. There are lots of sensors and actuators on the gearbox and any one of these could be at fault.

You really do need to have the fault code to have the repair done and quoted properly.

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how much it cost to repair ecu or gearbox itself.?

Expert:  David-VAG replied 3 years ago.

For ECU repairs it would depend on what is wrong with it as sometimes they can be sent away and have repairs done to them. Other times they are not repairable and you would need to have a new ECU fitted and these can cost around £500 upwards.

The gearbox one is impossible to answer as it would depend on what the fault is and again it could be something quite simple and cost around £100 going up to the gearbox being beyond repair and a replacement gearbox required that could cost anything upto about £3000.

This is why you really need to have the fault memory checked before worrying too much more. You should be able to get thie done at a local garage and it's worth spending out on an hours labour that could be around £40 to £100 depending on where you go. This smaller outlay will give you a much bigger picture of what really is wrong. It could even end up being a poor connection or solenoid on the gear lever.

Dave