Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73554018

Hi Ive just purchased an audi a5 coupe 2 litre sportback 2008

Customer Question

Ive just purchased an audi a5 coupe 2 litre sportback 2008 model, all was ok until yesterday engine emmissions orange light came on on the dashboard, have just been out to start it up and it keeps stalling, little bit chilly but not too cold - any ideas? Many thanks helen
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello Helen,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's ok ill wait

Hello Helen,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Hello Helen

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

from your description I'd say its possibly an issue with a failed oxygen sensor in the exhaust or it could also be a problem with the mass airflow sensor

however both of these a quite costly to just try replacing so its best to get the fault code 1st

Hello Helen,

The Professional has left an answer for you. Please remember to rate the answer given once you are satisfied. There are no extra charges for follow-up questions.