Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I just bought an AUDI A4 (2006) 2.0L SE, last week. The car

Customer Question

I just bought an AUDI A4 (2006) 2.0L SE, last week.
The car condition looks good in general and very clean outside.
The mileage is around 139K miles.

Despite all this, the former owner has mentioned that he had been practising topping up the engine oil after certain mileage. To my understanding, any car if it is good, despite the mileage, does not requires such process.
The questions are:
1. What is really happened to this AUDI? Is it normal for all AUDI?
2. Or is this a sign of bad things such as - gasket failure, piston rings failure etc..?
3. The former owner used 5W30 Castrol Oil, is this alright? Or any other recommendation for AUDI engine?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you.

In six / seven years, its hard if not impossible to know just how the car has been treated -driven, serviced etc... ( service records are not always "accurate" )... So this , espeically if the engine hasn't been "looked after" as often or as well as it should, can cause it to use excess oil -

But - its hard to say yet for you just what sort of oil it uses / by way of any amount as you have not owned it long enough - you will need to see how it goes for a few weeks / miles.

As a guide, VW / Audi, say that 1 litre of engine oil per 1000 miles usage is average / normal.. Personally I have always felt this to be a little on the high side - indeed I have vehicles that dont use any oil between service schedules...but , if a vehicle is using any - that is their , within their acceptable guidelines... SO , if thats what's been happening, thats what the previous owner will probably have been working in line with.

So really that answers your q1... it is indeed a fact that Audi engines and that range can and do use oil at that rate - and certainly at that age / mileage, that too wouldn't be untoward.

That encompasses your q2 - so long as there are no other problems such as real excessive blue exhaust smoke - using engine coolant / overheating etc - then again, thats not a sign of anything bad.

Castrol 5 -30 oil is fine yes as a general oil but there are alternatives . Any shop that sells oils have books there that you can check the oil for your car or if you like you can give me the cars full reg number and I can check the exact recommendation for you exact car for you.

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your advice Mike.

Good explanation.. by the way speaking of blue smoke, how suppose we know that the smoke we normally seen during the very first start in the morning is not the bad sign one?

Say if something is bad on the engine, how can we typically observe or judge on the smoke (color, intensity, time duration, smell etc)

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again...

Thank you for your reply...

Smoke blown out of the exhaust on first start up after several hours standing is , with the mileage you have, not a problem at all - in fact its pretty normal its just oil thats dropped from the valve seals onto the pistons over night etc... In fact so long as its not bad so that you cant see anything... its not a bad thing at all , it can be considered "good" even, as extra lubrication for the cold pistons.. !... so no thats not a worry ..

So that answers your next question really too... if when you start it as you say you have clouds of blue smoke - thats a bad sign in that its valve seals are gone etc - on starting that is.
If its doing much the same as you drive - thats a sign of worn piston rings etc - but you haven't mentioned that - and even at that mileage, I wouldn't expect that , not on the Audi.. but let me know if its any different to that.. So its really amount / sight of smoke - and if its only slight on start up - it should clear in the first 10 secs or so.

I hope that helps you further -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.................Please dont forget to click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike.. the blue smoke still can be seen even when the car has start moving (I watched the car from behind when my wife drove the car away). Initially I thought it possibly due to the exhaust gas being evaporated due to colder temperature at surrounding..

But when you mentioned there's possibility of sign of piston ring worn out..that's quite scary.. therefore

1. Do you have recommendation on what suppose I do?

2. What could be the cost to solve this issue?

3. If it is normal that 1 liter oil of every 1000miles, then I guess no action to be taken