Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

just noticed the steering in my audi 2day is stiff, and when

Customer Question

just noticed the steering in my audi 2day is stiff, and when i do a full turn it makes a screeching sound.
What do you think the problem is??
Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

Firstly it would be worth checking the fluid level just to ensure the level isn't too low..bear in mind these use a special power steering fluid you should be able to aquire from most local motor factors if it needs topped up and not regular red power steering fluid - another likely cause could be the actual belt itself so certainly check that with the engine off to ensure the belt is worn out or showing signs of wear or is slack etc..when turn at full lock it can put a bit of pressure on the belt.if worn then the belt can just run over the pulley and thus you get the screeching sound..other causes could be failing Power steering pump which with the belt removed they can check by hand to ensure its not seizing up and or no other pulley run off that belt ie:- alternator/AC pulley is causing a knock effect..So as above it would certainly be worth checking the fluid..aswell for any leaks ps fluid leaks from under the car..As far as driving to a garage as long the garage isn't to far away and there is sufficient fluid in the system its should be ok..or if preferred maybe opt to look up a good reputable local mobile technician service who can come to the car instead..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I checked the steering fluid it was nearly empty so I topped it up there and discovered it is leaking out the fluid I put into it!! There is a unusual sound from the car especially if I turn the steering wheel. Sounds like it could be a problem with the belt. Do you think this will be an expensive job? Do you also think will it be ok to drive approx 2miles to a garage in the morning if i top it up beforehand without causing damage?

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for getting back to me..

By the sounds of your fault if the fluid is leaking out at the rate you describe then that's going to be the initial problem here so you've basically found the fault anyway - So the next step really you need to do is track down exactly where is leaking from so it a case of starting off at the reservoir and follow the pipes checking as you go towards the pump then off to the steering rack and the back the reservoir again each time as you go checking from the exit point as per the leak you mention..and which ever section or part of the system is leaking need to be replaced..the noise your hearing is because the pump isn't able to supply or sustaine enough pressure or currently air pockets in the steering system due to the lack of steering fluid and thus you get that noise from the pump itself since it basically running dry and the heavy steering etc and this can damage the pump if left to run without enough fluid - as far as cost it would be hard to say really as we don't know yet which part of your steering system is at fault..only once the investigative work has been done to trace the leak will you know the costs involved - personally if the leak is really bad and draining the reservoir too quickly then it wouldn't be advisable to drive the car in that state or risk the pump/rack being damage even further if not already due to lack of fluid - it maybe worth if you know locally a good reputable mobile mechanic or your local garage you use often to come out and see exactly if its something that can be fixed on site..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include further info then just continue before you rate..