Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Hi, I have a a4 3.0 v6, just noticed a leak of what I think

Hi, I have a a4 3.0 v6, just noticed a leak of what I think is oil, it's not under the engine though, more towards middle of car. Any ideas?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

What colour would say the oil/fluid is under the car?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, it looks like clean oil, sort of a light brown.
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..First of really if you havent done so already would be to check all the fluid reserviors under the bonnet..this will if any have actually suffered any loss level wise will give you an idea which area you need to inspect for the leak in question on the car..there maybe a few areas would need to check based on the colour really..If an automatic then of course a good thourgh check of that for any leaks around the gearbox aswell as the cooler lines would need to be inspected - if an manual gear box then an inspection of the clutch hydraulic lines and slave cylinder would need to be checked too- if there is any slight loss from the brake reservior as the clutch hydraulic system uses a proportion of the same fluid then thats what it will be the slave cylinder - necxt check would be the steering hydraulic circuit so again really its checking the reservior for fluid loss and then basically trace the lines all the way to the steering rack from the power steering pump of course checking that for leaks "steering rack" and trace lines back.and see whats found..usually with any such oil leaks as long as it not black then i can see it being the engine unless the leak is forming from the back and travelling down the join between the engnine and gearbox something that will need to be traced for sure..so as above it really is a case of if you can getting under the car and basically trace it back as per the route the leak is coming from checking as in regards XXXXX XXXXX highlighted above..I do hope this helps..If you needto ask anything else or include further info then just continue before you rate