Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Audi A5 Sportback V6 3.0 TDI has started producing a lot

Customer Question

My Audi A5 Sportback V6 3.0 TDI has started producing a lot of exhaust fumes when accelerating away from a cold start. The visible fumes do disappear after a couple of mnutes.The car has done about 49,000 miles. Any thoughts?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please continue the search. The car is losing coolant at a high rate. The exhaust is pushing out white smoke/steam as opposed to blue smoke.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'm afraid this doesn't sound good , the thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out and

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

and as temporary fix I'd suggest trying some of this as it can last thousands of miles sometimes

http://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.html?secpath=01.04.&pgid=17