David-VAG
David-VAG, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've been working within the Audi group for over 10 years diagnosing and repairing them
27984060

My Audi A3 had an ABS sensor problem and my boyfriend said

Customer Question

My Audi A3 had an ABS sensor problem and my boyfriend said my ESP wouldn't work correctly until thi was fixed. It's now fixed but how do I tell if the ESP is on or off and how do you switch it on/off?
Category: Audi
Expert:  David-VAG replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer

The ESP will automatically turn itself on every time you start the car as it's a default setting for it to stay on. If no lights are coming up on the dash once the car is running this is normally a good sign that it is working.

Some models do have the option to turn it off and there is usually a switch that is marked ESP and when you press this the warning light will come on. This shows you that you have turned the system off. Once you turn the engine off and restart it the system will usually reset to the ESP being switched on so the light will go out.

I hope that this helps and if I can help further please feel free to ask

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That helps yes thanks. The button that has "esp off" just always seems to be semi lighten but I take it that means it's on and it's only when you turn the lights on that it's faintly lighten.
Expert:  David-VAG replied 3 years ago.

Hi, if the system is turned off you should get a warning light come up on the dash where the speedo and rev counter is. If the switch is dimly lit this is more than likely just so you are able to see the switch. If it's turned off the light would be quite bright so you really can notice that the light has come on.

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok brilliant thanks
Expert:  David-VAG replied 3 years ago.

I'm glad that I've been able to assist you on this matter.

Please remember to rate my answer if you are happy with the service that I have given you.

Dave