Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi All, I have an audi A3 2009 Model 2.0 TDI black edition

Customer Question

Hi All,
I have an audi A3 2009 Model 2.0 TDI black edition and the dashboard appears dead. No lights, no gauges working, no display basically nothing.

Battery is not dead, all fuses were checked by breakdown mechanic and diagnostics show only 1 error code which says that the immobiliser from my key is not working. Tried the spare key and it did not have any effect.

Is the dash pod dead? or a dry circuit board joint perhaps? the car is coming up to being 4 years old and for a whole dashboard just to up and die is pretty strange, thanks

Kind Regards
Harmon
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you ...

The first thing to try is your spare key - just in case... But generally if the key is not transmitting a signal - you will still get the dash lights etc... and you will get a light showing an immobiliser ( key ) fault -

Given what you have described, it does sound like dash cluster / pod failure yes - and it does happen on these..

Its going to have to be properly checked - I suggest on VW / AUDI diagnostic equipment -They will come to you or you will need to get the car towed to the dealer for this... It needs the proper dedicated Vw / Audi equipment to b verify the fault Im afraid - so that is the way forward on this one..

If it transpires that the cluster unit has indeed failed, there are companies that you can send the cluster to for test / repair - I can give you a contact if you wish, just ask - but you may find , that if you use a dealer as above, given the age of the car - they may give you a favourable deal on price - Let me know how you get on - but thats the best advice given your circumstances as above.

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the input.

Yes it has gone to the Audi Dealership, they have confirmed that the Dashpod is faulty (as I kind of knew).

I had read online and it seemed that this Dash pod failure is common on Audi model vehicles specifically Audi TT's which have been known to be way more serious.

The actual fault I believe is loose/cracked solder connections which cause the malfunctions and for other various error codes to be flagged which are red herrings. For example, ESD faults or Immobiliser faults. Although the dealership won't open the dashpod up to verify this.

I may take the faulty part back from them to send to testing however given the age of the car and it's faultless service history (and I do everything via the Audi Garage not 3rd party) I'm waiting to see if they offer a favorable price.

Kind Regards

Harmon