Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

how to reset engine management light on a 2001 audi a4

Customer Question

Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Unfortunatly there aren't many ways to do that without either the use of a suitable diagnostic machine or small code reader tool to read and erase codes "RAC do some cheap small code readers so maybe something to look into,Argos/ebay/Amazon and such like etc" or do as you have done upto now in regards to the battery to reset the ecm fault memory..the engine management light will only come on if it actually detects a fault somewhere on the engine , fuel or intake or emissions control system ie:- a bad sensor or faulty ecu control component on the engine or wiring to those can often cause the arning to flag up unless there and actually fault with the ecu itself - sometimes it can come on due to low fuel pressure so if you running low too often again can clog the fuel filter and cause pressure problems up at the engine injection system - Im not so sure why Audi arent able to detect any fault unless the car was tested with the warning off that can often make things alot harder to diagnose - the most effective way is diagnose the fault as and when it happens the warning on as such to propely find out exactly why thats coming on and what codes are stored..One thing you could try is to go around the engine bay check each small electrical plug connector you see on the engine esuring they are fully home /vaccum line/ all the hose for any problems also with the engine running try the wiggle test on each plug and just where the wiring enters to se if that trigger the warning light and might help narrow down the area of the fault..But as above thats really only about the 3 effective ways to reset the warning etc..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have checked as many connections that I can access without success. The only option that works is the battery-disconnect which unfortunately is not a permanent solution.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..there..

I can fully understand that - as battery disconnection is basically just wiping the fault memory until such time the faults picked up again by the ecu - however the only permanent solution to your problem is to maybe consider as and when the warning does flag up is to have the ecu interrogated,You don't say wither that was the case when you taken the car to audi - wither that's mean trying local garage better equipped sort of local specialist you have in your area etc or even a good well equipped mobile tech - doing so with the warning off will not usually pick up anything - and or suggested above one of these small code readers that you can read and erase the codes with,so as when it happens basically plug it in and see whats being logged..Im sorry this hasn't really solved your issue but unfortunately that's about the only way forward as above with problems like this im afraid..