Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi, I am not technical with cars so excuse the basic language

Customer Question

Hi, I am not technical with cars so excuse the basic language describing the problem I seem to have with the 2004 audi TDI SE estate with NO sunroof, which has been flooding with water under drivers side footwell and draining into the back passenger side as well. It is wet along the sides of the box where the gearbox is. After a few weeks of trying to dry it out and thinking I had mistakenly left a window open somewhere, the battery died so had it replaced and whilst there, under the battery was a pool of water and debris , leaves, so cleared away and then one drain pipe was removed from there and we bought a new cover to go across the battery heater box as it was only partially there.. We dried out the car as best we could and for a few dry days outside all seemed well then it rained heavily again and we are getting wet again inside. Please help as I am so worried this is going to seriously affect the electrics. I read somewhere it could also be the windscreen seal? Should we replace all visible hoses?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help..

This is a common problem with this range / the A4 Im afraid - and invariably its the blockage of the drains that causes this -

You need to completely and fully clear the plenum chamber ( where the battery is ) all the way along - from one side to the other of any leaves/ debris etc - and check and clean all along , the drains that you see there...

Usually this is all thats needed - but do be sure the drains are fully clear.

I note you say you "punched a hole" to let water out - do be sure that that leads to the outside - into the engine bay - and not back - where it would let water into the car...

The chamber will get water in regardless of the covers as water comes down the screen and in there - but all is well so long as the drains are kept clear..

If you are positive that the drains are all clear - then the next best thing is to go right up under the dash with a good lamp while someone swills water over the screen - you can then see where water is coming in - you will clearly see it that way. I doubt its the screen because they are bonded - but it could be so you need to check. One way or the other as above you should have this sorted.

One other area to check is beneath and behind the battery - battery acid leaking over the years can cause rot / holes - slo check under it - and along the seems .

Another point is - under the carpet the sound deadening foam is very very thick - it can take forever to dry out in situ - if it ever does. Really the only way is to remove the carpets and then the foam - you will see just how thick it is then - and how much water it holds...

So thats the way forward on this one now for you - but do get back to me / let me know if you need anything more..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Meantime -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.