Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2008 s5 v8 and am curious does it have a timing chain

Customer Question

I have a 2008 s5 v8 and am curious does it have a timing chain or belt?
Also I have a squeak coming from the front rotating belt and when I spray a little wd40 it goes away?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

The S5 4.2 v8 is actually a timing chain driven engine - as far as the squeek goes it seeing as the noise does stop when appling the wd-40 pretty much confirms the problem will be on the auixilary belt side - so its possible it could either be the belt itself so certainly check the condition of that and its tension etc/the ribs on the under side of the belt with the engine OFF - sometimes it can be down to just the belt itself and would just require replacement - whilst the belts off carefully check each pulley the belt runs and feel for any that do feel like they are seized or dont turn frely//also spin each pulley and listen for the same noise or any possible grinding coming from them..but as above it could be just a simple belt change and se if that solves the issue..i do hope this helps..