Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

my partners Audi A4 55 plate motor reversing lights just started

my partners Audi A4 55 plate motor reversing lights just started to stay on and the sounder to say you've engaged reverse has also come on even though its not in reverse.
turned on off many times nothing changed
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im sorry to see you have had a wait on your question..

Before we progress - I just need to know.. is the car an auto or manual transmission?

Kind Rgds, MIKE.................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

manual gearbox and as soon as you turn the key on the sensor sounds for few seconds as if it was being put into reverse,lights stay on all the time and sounder cuts on and off randomly

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply and info..

Ok - with the manual transmission version when this happens - this indicates usually failure or faulty reverse light switch - When this happens, it can cause as you have - and will also affect the reverse sensor system / sounder with those so equipped.

It could also be a wiring issue -so it needs checking. On the transmission the reverse light switch is screwed in through the casing - it needs to have the wires to that checked - just in case as any damage to the insulation of the wires howsoever caused, as above, can cause a short, and so cause this to happen too - so again, the wiring to the switch should be checked carefully.

If thats all ok - then just check the switch itself. See if its tight in the casing of the gearbox ( it simply screws in )... sometimes they can come loose and that will cause whats happening too... If thats all it is -it can be re tightened up.

Other than any of the above, a new replacement switch will be needed. Again - its just a case of disconnect the wires too and unscrew the one - and screw in the new one - and re attach the wires. If its not a job you can do though, any garage can do this for you - its a 20 min job so not at all costly..

One way or the other as above should see this cured for you ;)

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the "OK rating to Excellent ratings" service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All sorted thank you
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Your'e very welcome.

Anything else ever - you know where I am..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.