Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Audi A4 2.0 TDi 143 SE Automatic - diesel. First registered

Audi A4 2.0 TDi 143 SE Automatic - diesel. First registered June 2010 in UK - LL10EZJ.
Audi LongLife Service. No diesel particulate filter.
1st service done at 18636 miles on 25/01/2013. 2nd service done at 36994 miles on 27/01/2014.
2nd service done with oil change/oil filter and inspections with brake fluid, air filter and dust and pollen filter element changed. Service done by a well known garage (not audi garage) where I give my wife/son's cars regularly for service and MOTs.
After the oil change the MMI indicator said that "there is currently no inormation available". Garage said that it wil automatically adjust after 2 days. After 2 days I checked the oil level as per the manual (run the car around to get the temp to above 45 deg - switch off engine for about 4 mins - insert the key fob but do not start the engine - car to be on a level surface). Checked the oil level. It says "start the engine to get the oil level". This never happened before the service as it would give you the oil level straight away once the key fob was in without the engine start. Of course you start the engine and it says "please drain off engine". Really it should give you the oil reading without starting the engine as it used to do so before.
Took the car back to the garage. They drained the oil and refilled with same amount as per the manual. The same thing happened again - "there is currently no information available". Followed the same process again - check after 2 days etc etc.
You cannot check theoil level again as it states "start the engine to get the oil level" and asks to start the engie where it says "please drain off oil".
Garage says the the part of MMI for checking the oil level may be faulty!!!!!!!!!!!
What could be the cause? Please help.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im sorry to see the issues you have-- but the garage could well be right here...

I say that - because you are not on your own with having this happen with this model - its fairly common - but with different causes...

It can be for example , the sensor that sends the signal to the MMi ( where the MMi gets its info from ) or, yes, the MMi faulty..

What you will have to do now Im afraid is use a dealer or a garage that has dealer level diagnostic equipment, to plug into the cars' OBD socket and run tests on the system that way... that will find the fault for you then it can be out right.

Im sorry there is no easy way forward/ Diy way - As you can probably appreciate, its all "electronic" - so when it comes to this issue, there is no other way Im afraid to get to the bottom of this - as above.. So thats the way forward to get this sorted for you now..

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.................Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

.....You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.