Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

can I fit snow chains to an audi a6 sline with 245 45 18 tyres

can I fit snow chains to an audi a6 sline with 245 45 18 tyres - I am told the 9mm chains will provide enough clearance is this correct
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

9mm chains should be fine

however may I suggest using these snow tyre socks as my own experience with them is they offer as much traction as chains and are a far easier thing to fit

Also they are far less bulky than chains, and cheaper

http://www.autosock.co.uk/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thanks for your answer - yes I agree snow socks are useful but they have limits as I know from experience especially pulling an A6 Estate up a hill and trust me they don't do as well :-)

Your answer is helpful but the "should be fine" worries me - can you be more specific in terms of the clearance behind the wheel to the suspension leg (which I guess is the main issue) I know some cars have less than 9mm clearance.

Thanks a lot

Jon

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Jon

there's at least 20mm of clearance in that area
and the point of closest approach is where the wheel inner rim is close to the brake caliper but most chains don't encroach into this space