Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an 08 audi A5 3.2V6 Multitronic - Ive had it since

I have an 08 audi A5 3.2V6 Multitronic - I've had it since new and it has a full service history - recently, the multitronic gearbox has started 'slipping' and banging into gear on hill starts.
I thought that Audi has resolved this issue with the newer mulitronic boxes - are there any other problems which could be causing this?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

the multironic gearbox is still problematic I'm afraid - especially after 60 - 70 K miles

a fluid change with 2 drains and refills ( to ensure that all the old fluid is moved out) often helps but if its still banging on changes then usually new solenoids are required if the clutch packs aren't excessivly worn

sorry its not better news
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just had a thought - could you give me a rough idea of the costs involeved in this work if I take it to a dealer? - am quite tempted to get shot of the car, but may bite the bullet...
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

a dealer will be the most expensive option

I'd expect themcharge 2 hours labour for a fluid change and diagnostic check afterwards + the cost of the fluid

so their labour rate is about $200 -250/ hour + $120 worth of fluid
then if they get into fitting new solenoids parts are about $250 + more fluid and 2-3 hours labour

if you were to use a independent Audi specialist then you can usually halve the labour rate but the parts cost will be about the same
Matt, Mechanical Engineer