Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I had a diagnostic done which showed up two faults on audi

Customer Question

I had a diagnostic done which showed up two faults on audi A3 1999 MODEL 8L1
1. Wheel speed sensor, rear right, code 104, figured, if i replace both wheel sensors would cure the fault.
2. Airbag igniter, driver side, resistance two low, were would i find the igniter sensor to replace it.
3. when all part are replaced is there a way to reset the system for all lights out on dash, without another expense of reset equipment.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help -

Please give me the full reg of the vehilce - then we can progress..

Rgds, MIKE............................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Audi A3 Reg No T707JLA 1999 model AEH engine 3 door sport

The main problem i am trying to resolve is the airbag issue the warning light is on and will not pass MOT.

The diagnostic report is as 00588 033 Airbag Igniter (drivers side) -N95

Resistance value too low.

I removed airbag from steering wheel and reset connectors and reassembled it. do not know if this will resolve the issue until i have a reset done.

Do you know of anything that may cause this symptom before i pay for a reset.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply and info-

Ok- to reset the system after what you have done, you can try a battery disconnect - but note - you must do it this way:

Remove the IGN key -

Ensure no one is in the vehicle - close the doors.

Disconnect the NEG off the battery - leave for 5 mins..

Then - SWITCH IGN ON - re connect the battery lead ( you may need your radio code after this too )

Now if what you have done has rectified the fault- the light will be out when the engine is started - If not - you still have a fault that the computer is seeing - and you will need to investigate further -

The code you have - the 00588 -033.. I will give you the tech info for as follows :

Possible Causes

• Wiring from/to Air bag Igniter Driver Side (N95) faulty
  • Coil Spring with Slip Ring (F138) faulty
  • Air bag Igniter Driver Side (N95) faulty

Possible Solutions

• Check Wiring from/to Airbag Igniter Driver Side (N95)
  • Check Coil Spring with Slip Ring (F138)
  • Check Airbag Igniter Driver Side (N95)

Special Notes

• When "Short to positive" or "Short to ground" is found, DO NOT CLEAR THE DTC. This can cause the airbag to deploy. See repair manual for more information.

If you have not sorted the fault - diagnostic procedures will be needed to ID the actual cause as above to cure this for you -

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.