AudiDoc
AudiDoc, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Independent European garage owner. Over 20 years experience
14582033

Hi . Have a 06 1600 A3 . the emissions light came on and off

Hi . Have a 06 1600 A3 . the emissions light came on and off a couple of times . It now stays on . The Stability light has also come on
Are the 2 connected ?
Garage said emissions light was caused by a crankshaft alignment problem ? is it ?
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 3 years ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason and I'll be helping you with your Audi question

AudiDoc :

I will have to say that I've seen multiple cases of a faulty crankshaft position sensor also cause the ESP/stability light to illuminate.

AudiDoc :

Also, if there's a specific fault code stored for the crank position sensor (P0321 or similar), then you can rest assured that replacing it will take care of both problems, IF and only IF there is not a completely separate fault stored in the ABS stability control computer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for that

One query

Just to clarify......Re ABS light ......are you saying that it is possible but unlikely that a different error is causing the light to come on other than the crankshaft sensor ?

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 3 years ago.
Richard,
Yes, it's possible. Impossible for me to know for sure without knowing the fault codes stored in address 03 (brake electronics). However, if it appears that the engine light and stability light event timing is related, then I would still lean towards the cranks sensor causing both light events.

Jason