Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

We have a 2010 Audi a5 coupe with 3.0l v6 diesel engine. Initially

Customer Question

We have a 2010 Audi a5 coupe with 3.0l v6 diesel engine. Initially it had a water leak due to head gasket. We removed the heads had them skimmed etc and rebuilt the engine. It now will not start. The only code showing on the computer was a code for the starter motor we replaced this and the problem went away. We then found 3 injectors stuck closed and these have been replaced all are now ok. The symptoms are it will start run a few seconds and then stop. Fuel is OK. Timing is set up OK and we still have no fault codes. Can you help Please
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have more information. We have tested pressure on the rails. The passenger side rail is OK but the drivers side rail is low pressure. Blocking of injectors the pressure is still low. We now suspect the pressure release valve but have replaced this with one from another vehicle (not the correct one but it should be shut )and still have the problem. Could the ecu be affecting this valve and still show no code. Could the valve be faulty and show no code? If not where else can we be losing pressure? The connecting pipe between the rails has been blocked off so that is not the cause.

Thank you for getting back to me and providing more information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you ..

As there has been a delay - please let me know exactly where you are at at the moment - what you have done since what you have written above etc.. then we can progress..

Rgds, MIKE............................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

We are still at this stage we have ordered a correct replacement pressure release valve and are awaiting delivery of this.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi there -

Thank you for your reply -

Ok - well, on the face of it , at this stage, it couldbe a fueling issue - Im assuming you have done the basics such as fit a new fuel filter - and also you mention about the fuel rail pressure etc -- A partially restricted fuel filter (or line ...check for any damage / kinks etc ).. can cause this... so its important to fit a new filter to start with - and ensure the connections are good. Remember - a diesel like this can suck air causing all manner of running troubles - but wont always leak diesel at the same place... so that needs all checking.

The other thing that comes directly to mind though is , as you say, it starts and runs for a dew secs and then stops - do check the immobilizer system isn't active -- that is a typical symptom.. ie, engine starts - runs great just for a couple of secs, then stops... so its important you check that .

So check on the above and let me know how get on..

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.>> >> ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

The pressure release valve arrived and did not solve the problem. We have already replaced the fuel filter and had the immobilizer checked by an Audi main agent it is OK. we are currently having the injectors retested.

We also rechecked the timing but it is OK as per the tool. We are completely baffled. Any other ideas?

Best Regards

David

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Hello again David -

Thank you for your reply.

The immobilizer is easy to check - you just check the LED to see what its doing at the time..

If thats ruled out - its either a fueling issue - so you need to check pressure etc.. or, an electrical / command problem.. meaning then you need to check relays / wiring / to ecu.

I doubt its an Ecu fault - but it could be.. I would suggest check as above to work through this. These models are susceptible to water damage to the Ecu and its main relay etc. One wouldn't think such would happen with what you have been doing - but its worth checking... Let me know how you get on..Im always happy to help further if needed..

... Rgds - MIKE.

Please do click on the OK ratings for me at this point - Thank you David.

You can get back to me anytime you may need further - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..