Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi, have an 09 plate A4 avant with less than 50k miles. On

Customer Question

Hi, have an 09 plate A4 avant with less than 50k miles. On Sat it was parked on the drive and I was in the house. I heard a thud and then the car alarm went off. Thought some kids had hit the car accidentally witha football, but no. Reset the alarm then about and hour later drove off only to hear something dragging underneath, it was nearside rear spring.... garage was closed so decided to wait until Monday. About 3 hours later I noticed front offside had visibly fallen. Today RAC confirmed two broken springs. Have you ever heard of this on an Audi with this mileage??? Of course being one front and one rear I will need to get all 4 replaced.... The roads I travel are all good with very very few potholes although I do live in a street with speed bumps.... ever heard of cracked springs on this mileage?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

its not that common but its not unheard of either

the diesel engine varients tend to suffer more due to the heavier engine but the springs are quite highly stressed and can crack as you've described

fortunatly its an easy fix that any garage can carry out so there's no need to use a dealership and so making a saving on the labour charge