Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I am looking to buy a 2004 Audi TT with an auto box fault.

Customer Question

I am looking to buy a 2004 Audi TT with an auto box fault. the current owner (a car dealer) states, "Requires gearbox repair still drives upto 3rd gear for short periods off time"
Can you tell me how bad a fault is this is it an easy fix or will it need a complete box or rebuild and what sort of price will the repairs cost.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Patrick and Welcome..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise on this issue you have..

With this fault / type of fault, on this model Patrick - you have to be extremely careful ..

To explain - the garage / seller says it will drive in 3rd gear from time to time only... What is actually happening here is, the transmission has a fault - ( whatever it is ).. and the TCM - the Transmission Control module / computer - detects the fault - and switches the fault light on. At that time, the computer will only allow the car to drive in 3rd gear only - this is whats called Safe Mode.. it does this to protect the systems etc - so that you cannot drive it at "normal" revs / speeds etc - to protect it.

The garage man has undoubtedly had this checked out diagnostically - he knows this is to be done.. he will have had a plug in test done.. this test scans the fault log ( there will be fault codes in the TCM as above ) - which them tells the diagnostic user just where the faults are...

Now - again - he will have had this done... if it was a cheap quick repair - he surely would have had it fixed - that way he could ask full price for the car - with no known faults.

As it is - he has undoubtedly been told that its not a cheap fix -and so has decided to put it up for sale - as -is.

So - that rings Big alarms bells to be honest. Personally, in line with the above, I would walk away from it... I cannot give you an exact costing - we just dont know exactly whats wrong with it - there are many many things that go wrong with these auto transmissions - but again - you can go off the above. He has obviously determined its not a cheap repair and may even need a replacement transmission - if it cant be repaired. Either way - such repairs tend to start at anything from around 1500 - 2000 £ ( Gbp )... and go up from there. Again - thats why he hasn't done it himself. New transmissions are at least double that price.

So I hope the overview / explanation as above helps you - Im sorry its not likely what you wanted to hear - but I really would warn you away from this one....

Let me know if you need anything else -

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.