Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2001 A4 2 ltr petrol low mileage saloon and the oil

I have a 2001 A4 2 ltr petrol low mileage saloon and the oil level warning light comes on after 60-70 miles, but the oil level is right on the mark. Can you help? After the light comes on, I stop and remove and replace the dipstick , and carry on for another 60-65 miles before it comes on again!! I have now been waiting for several hours for a reply, but don't appear to have had one. Am I missing something somewhere?

Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

the oil warning light can also be triggered by low oil pressure ( or a faulty pressure switch)

I'd 1st suggest measuring the actual oil pressure with seperate mechanical gauge - this can be plumbed into the engine via the current pressure switch port - if you use a Tee piece you can keep the pressure switch plumbed in as well and so see if the low pressure light corresponds to a low pressure reading.

As its intermittant and you have no rumbling or rattling noises from the engine its likely to be an electrical fault so 1st check the connection to the pressure switch is bright and clean and check back along the switch wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation

As if the wire is grounded out at any point then this will also turn on the light.

If you do have a low pressure reading ( should be 4 bar (59psi) at 2000rpm) and to turn on the light it will be very low about 5psi then replace the oil pump and ensure that the pump pickup in the sump hasn't come loose or is blocked