Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

My audi a6 automatic 2004 (180,000 miles) has an intermitent

My audi a6 automatic 2004 (180,000 miles) has an intermitent fault. The red gear indicator on the dash sometimes (mostly to be honest) flashes on off. This is not my fault but may indicate root cause.
The fault tends to appear when slowing to a holt particularly from one low gear to another or on very slight inclines, the car judders and stalls. I can sometime pre empt this and engage triptonic and this allows me to stop without stalling (generally).
another factor which may be releavnt is that it will very occaisionally jump out of gear whilst driving nomally.
Help please as I feel there may be an accident ahead.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise -

Can you first please tell me exactly what you have done / tried so far in a bid to get this cured? What tests / checks etc you have done and so on....

Rgds, MIKE...................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've not really done any remedial works yet. I did take into an auto transmission expert who said it may be the computer management system but it may also be the gearbox - not much help really as I knew that.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Ian -

Thank you for your reply - and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you as I had to be off yesterday Im afraid...

As regards XXXXX XXXXX you have with your A6 - I note that you have a warning light coming on. This is in itself a good sign Ian - it means the TCM, Transmission control module, has detected the "fault" whatever it is - and puts the light on to tell you -- So--- the first thing to do -is to have either an Audi dealer - or any smaller type garage that has the correct equipment, plug in a TCM fault code scanner. This will scan / read the fault log in the TCM and will by way of fault codes, ID whats wrong for you.

So thats the way forward on this Ian for sure... No point wasting time with anything else at the moment. Yes, the fault can be with the TCM itself - but thats rare- It can be in the wiring to the transmission - connector issues, sensor faults, solenoid faults you really need to have that done as above - that is the cost effective - and correct first move given the light is coming on... Again, that will give a fault codes - you can get back to me with the code/s if you like and I can help you further - but that said, the machine when used not only gives the code, it tells the tech/ user what the fault is anyway so there should be no problem then in progressing to getting the issue sorted for you at that point. So - again, thats the way forward now on this one Ian, let me know how you get on --

Let me know if you need anything else at all --

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert