Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

A4 1.9TDI Saloon 52 Plate (91000miles) Am getting oil deposits

Customer Question

A4 1.9TDI Saloon 52 Plate (91000miles)
Am getting oil deposits in the water system. Garage suspect head gasket but not sure. Garage also fitted new oil cooler which did not fix. Starts OK runs short journeys (work and back..10miles) OK but dare not risk hols say Cornwall.
Any ideas anyone !!
Steve T
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd suggest draining the coolant and then using a pressure tester to put 15 psi of air pressure into the cooling jacket and remove the oil filler cap and listen for any hissing noises

The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html