Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2010 A3 2.0 TDI Sportsback with 29k .It was serviced

I have a 2010 A3 2.0 TDI Sportsback with 29k .It was serviced at 18k by Audi Teesside and all ok.It had a 26k service by servicingstop,again all ok.I have had no problems at all.Today,after driving 20 miles,doing 65mph,the engine starts redlining.I pulled into a lay-by and waited 15 minutes before completing my journey home,only 6 miles more.At home I opened the bonnet ,there was a burning smell.I have restarted the engine and all seems ok,albeit the engine is hot.
What is causing this and should I get it checked out
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

if the engine is revving up with your foot off the accelerator pedal then either there's an elcetrical issue with the throttle pedal or the engine is pulling in engine oil

as diesels will happily run off engine oil

I'd suggest removing the intake tube just after the turbo and check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

also check the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet , however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carrys oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.
If you do find oil replace the valve

if all of this is OK then I'd suggest having the car put through a diagnostic test to ensure that the pedal sensor is OK and readign correctly