Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

hi i have and AUDI A4 ,1999. 1800. i had to change the abs

Customer Question

hi i have and AUDI A4 ,1999. 1800.
i had to change the abs and instrument cluster . had them fitted and now my immobilezer wont go off ..so car wont start,, ,
car starts great with my instrument cluster on but not the one i got to replace it,,
can you help buy telling me how to sort it out ?.
many thanks
Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

The reason the car not starting with the replacement cluster - but will on the original - is that these instrument panels have the immobilizer control module integrated in them..hence why the replacement instrument panel doesn't allow the car to start car/keys don't match it...This isn't possible to bypass really as this will require high end diagnostics - vag.com software to go through adaptations of the cluster and all the keys.if possible,so you need to find a garage/or mobile tech with that equipment and knows how to use it - to do that for you..you don't say what the initial fault was with the old instrument panel..sometimes to avoid such complications there is the option of having the existing one repaired "again depending what's gone wrong with it" - BBA-Reman might be something to look into..if it can be fixed then "it should" avoid problems with immobiliser since yours will still be coded to that car/keys etc.... But unfortunately as above that the way forward on this one..