Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Audi a3 20tdi 2012 wont turn off

Customer Question

Audi a3 20tdi 2012 won't turn off
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome..

Mike :

My name is MIKE -Im happy to help / advise -

Mike :

Is the car left with the engine running at the moment - ??

Mike :

Im not receivng anything from you at all -- Please reply to me when you receive this then we can progress.. Kind Rgds - MIKE

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : I have a prOblem wth my audi a3 2litre tdi 2o12.
JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : I have to stall engine to stop ignition is permanently on an won't lock of key fob , a message comes on dash sayin auto start stop system fault
Mike :

Hello.. You have for some odd reason clicked on the Bad Service rating - I have been waiting an hour for you....

Mike :

Hello - - ??

Mike :

Do you require my help or not ?

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : I have a prOblem wth my audi a3 2litre tdi 2o12.I have to stall engine to stop ignition is permanently on an won't lock of key fob , a message comes on dash sayin auto start stop system fault
Mike :

If so - I need you to check the OK rating for us to carry on --

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : It will but it will close the chat
Mike :

I understand but the issue has been caused by your clicking the bad rating before we even discussed anything.. I can hold off on the the rating and bypass that on the understanding you will click the OK when we are done - otherwise you can do it now- it will close the chat and we would carry on fine but in the QA system..

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Ill do it after , swear just need help ASAP whilst I gave wifi access
Mike :

I will shake on that with you.

Mike :

Now - does the car have start / stop system,?

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Yes
Mike :

Ok - and the car is left running as we speak or have you stalled it?

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Stalled it
Mike :

Can you get in the car and start it?

Mike :

right.. Can you get in the car and start it?

Mike :

if the system says I have gone out of chat - I havent left you ., Im just changing windows)

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : In car an its runnin
Mike :

are you in the car now ??

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Yes
Mike :

Ok - does your version have a start / stop button or not - just key?

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Yes it has stop start
Mike :

Ok - stall the engine then so its stopped - then key off - press and hold the button for up to 30 secs... then release it- let me know what happens....

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Wot button
Mike :

the start button

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : There is no start button on the dash audi a3 tdi 2012
Mike :

Ok - thats what I asked you earlier--

Mike :

I think you got mixed up with the start stop system... ok - we cant do that then.. just a mo..

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Sorry mate
Mike :

Its ok - -just give me a sec or so-

Mike :

can you give me the cars reg -

Mike :

in full..

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Bd62juk
Mike :

thank you - give me a mo...

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : K in the car an
Mike :

Have you tried disconnecting the car battery at any stage?

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Yeah for a hour an over nite
Mike :

right - and when you came back to it - the same? and are the dash lights stuck on when you leave the car...even with the engine stopped??

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Yes no Change all ignition lites radio
Mike :

ok - thank you -- one min...

Mike :

has the car been used every day - or stood for a while?

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Never stood
Mike :

ok - thank you - so you were using it today and it just did that - wouldn't switch off? Has anyone played with the button above the air grilles at all ? ( if you have that version)...

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : There's no button above vents alarm went off a 7 yesterday mornin an problems been there since
Mike :

Right ok... Im afraid I have gone right through the check list - you have either a software issue - or a failure of either the ign switch Esi module ... Im afraid this is going to have to be referred to Audi - one because its so new and under warranty and two, because it will need diagnostic equipment on it... Now Audi have a special ASSIST breakdown line I can give you the number - they will come top you this evening to help you .

Mike :

Im afraid with this evidently now being an electronic issue it will need plug in equipment on it.

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Omg I could hav done all this myself !!!!!!
Mike :

Im sorry- but we cant tell unless we know for sure its gone through...

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Your supposed to be a expert ! In wot ?? No help at all
Mike :

What would you like to me to tell you - If you have the electronic plug in equipment, I can carry on and advise you as to what you need to be doing next -with the equipment. When it comes to needing the equipment - nobody can progress without-- The Assist cars have the equipment with them -

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Why didn't u say that on the start instead of buyin time askin stupid questions
Mike :

Because - we had to work through it all -- I do not understand why you are speaking as you are...although I can understand you are disappointed that you need to progress as I have described - that is hardly my fault...

JACUSTOMER-q12nxq67- : Well u havnt helped at all change job mate tescos hiring
Mike :

You cannot expect me to diagnose the issue without talking through it.... or maybe you do - but that isn't how things work.. We can neither come to you or do anything other than advise - based on what you tell me - If you dont work along with me by going through it, then I cant even advise. Your attitude along with clicking on the bad service rating -again - tells me you have mad your mind up so there is no reasoning with you sadly. Im sorry you feel that way - but we are not miracle workers... mores the pity.