Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi, an alarm keeps sounding from the rear right hand side of

Customer Question

Hi, an alarm keeps sounding from the rear right hand side of my boot. It is not the normal car alarm and is not associated with any flashing lights or horn.
The alarm goes off intermittently unprovoked. I arrived home last night and there was not a problem. The alarm started during the night and continued for an hour. Then stopped of its own accord. Any ideas how stop this as it is driving the neighbours crazy.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is***** happy to help you .

So that I can help you accurately - please give me the cars' FULL reg number -

Rgds, MIKE........................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

EA52 LZW

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply - reg number -

I have your car from that - Audi A4 quattro (8Ex) (01-08) 1,9D TDI PD 2001-04 Engine code : AVF

What you describe is actually the alarm system horn - but its not sounding off as it would in a true alarm situation -
There are two reasons for this as you describe to be happening - One, its either one of the door / boot / bonnet latch switches faulty - causing the alarm to "think" that its been interfered with - ie, door / boot etc as above opened - and so it sounds - or- second, the Ni cad batteries in the alarm sounder unit are failing - and the voltage drop in the system causes it to sound off.

The only realy way to be sure of what is the cause is to have a plug in diagnostic test done - that will quickly tell you what is causing it... one or the other as above.. then you can go from there with the proper fix - which is either renewal of the faulty latch sensor switch - or, the sounder itself.

Meantime you can disconnect it- The sounder unit is found in the rear right hand side as you say - remove the panelling from the "wall" / side of the car in the boot area -and you will see it there...Simply disconnect the wire plug to it. When you do that , the siren may sound off until the Nicads die - just let it do that , there is no way to stop it - short of dismantling it - muffle it with a towel or such like until its dead -

Then you are ok it wont sound off again... then you can have the root cause traced as above at a more convenient time.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.