Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi I have a six year old Q7 3.0 TDI 62k miles serviced by Audi

Hi I have a six year old Q7 3.0 TDI 62k miles serviced by Audi dealers, had from new no problems.
I have an issue with an engine clatter noise which is most evident when pulling away with the revs between 1500 - 2000, not particularly loud but I am now very concious of it which then either seems to subside or gets masked in the noise of the engine. I have had no issues with falling MPG, engine oil level is fine, oil pressure is fine, performace is fine. I dont want to ignore it.
Any ideas as to what the issure (assuming there is one) could be.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd first try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired

If the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue

Examine carefully the condition of the bottom / crank pulley as these are composite construction with a rubber element and its possible this rubber is breaking up and allowing the two metal portions to move.

Another possibility is the variable valve timing system as this does rely on oil pressure to correctly synchronise your vvti pulley on the end of the camshaft. If the valve has become blocked up then its possible the pulley is rattling about and producing the noise.

If all of this is OK then its possible the issue is with the dual mass flywheel on the other end of the engine, these are constructed in the same way I mentioned for the front pulley but are more prone to problems due to greater heat and larger forces.

If your gearstick is rattling this is another pointer to this being the problem.

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years