mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

2007 S5 V8 manual takes usually 2, sometimes 3 attempts to

2007 S5 V8 manual takes usually 2, sometimes 3 attempts to get starter motor to kick in. Push in clutch and key to start - instruments fire up and door mirrors move but, nothing happens at the engine. Try again and it usually starts, if not, remove key and start again and it starts. Diagnostic computer not registering any fault codes. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm still looking for an answer.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
What normally causes this issue is the ignition switch electrically failing, the ignition switch sends the signal to the starter to kick in.
The switch won't show up on most diagnostic test the switch normally has to be tested by itself.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think the switch is likely to end up failing completely? Is this something that any competent mechanic could check and fix or is it better to go to an Audi garage?

Yes this switch will end up failing all together keeping the vehicle from starting at all, this repair would need to be made by the Audi dealer. Thank you.
mike_a_mechanic, Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.