Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 2007 Audi A6 2.0 TDI. I bought it with an idling problem

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Audi A6 2.0 TDI. I bought it with an idling problem but it generally drove ok. Recently it has been down on power during acceleration. When I took it to get the timing belt changed I asked the garage to also look at the idling issue. They refused saying that it was probably the injectors and that I should take it to a diesel tuning specialist. I enquired with a specialist about this who said I needed to get it fixed by a garage before getting it remapped and that it sounded like a mass air sensor issue. I subsequently took it to a garage who identified that the dual mass flywheel and clutch needed replacing. This has now been done but I still have the same problem. The last garage suspects it might be as simple as the timing being out but nothing showed up on his diagnostic. I really would like to identify the cause before spending more money
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Mike :

Hello and Welcome... my name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..

Mike :

I need to just first clarify - was anything done with the air mass meter then- and the timing belt - was that actually changed or not?

Mike :

Too - do you have any systems fault light on the dash at all when its running?

Mike :

Also - have any fault code checks actually been done? if so - do you have the codes?

Mike :

Finally - what is the mileage on the car - ? When was it last serviced ? and please give me its FULL reg number-

Mike :

When you come back on -please just list your reply here - answers to the above - and when I receive them, I will get back to you asap thereafter - Best Rgds, MIKE.................................

JACUSTOMER-pdgznhbo- :

I bought the car with the idle problem. The car was due a timing belt change so I took it to garage and had the work done. I asked if they could look at the idling problem and they said that I would need to take it to a diesel specialist as it sounded like an injector problem. I spoke with a tuning company who said it should be sorted by a garage as it sounded like an air mass meter. So I took it to another garage. They could not raise any error codes but deduced that it was probably the Dual Mass Flywheel/clutch. I have now paid to have this replaced yet the problem remains and the car is increasingly down on power when accelerating through the gears. It hits a flat spot then feels like the fuel is suddenly kicking in. The last garage believes it is either the timing or injection system. I have since been referred to another Audi specialist who, after listening to my story has referred me on to another specialist company that focusses purely on injection issues.

JACUSTOMER-pdgznhbo- :

Other than this problem the car drives perfectly. It is overdue a service and has done about 185k miles. The reg number if VN57 MKV

Mike :

Hi again - Thank you for your reply and info... I just needed to be sure on those points - so thank you for that ..

Mike :

You can get bad idle - sounds almost like a dead injector / misfire when you have a bad DFM / flywheel - but - that would clear on revs if it was the DFM... you say it was ok when on the road - so it was never going to be the flywheel Im afraid..

Mike :

As the fault has been there before the belt was replaced - its unlikely to be timing out neither - though a simple 4 gas test on an mot machine can qualify that too... but its doubtful as its the same now -

Mike :

The timing is computer / ecu controlled.... the valve timing by the belt so wev'e pretty much ruled that out - You could have an injector issue yes - but that should show on a fault code test - plus, you would get a engine fault systems light on the dash....so, I wouldn't at this stage think that way - not with no light and no fault codes.

Mike :

That said - a fault code test should always be done for such a fault - it doesn't sound like anyone has done that yet - that needs doing. .. For now though - try this - disconnect the MAF ( the air flow meter ) electrical connector... secure it safe and take the car for a drive - It may idle bad like this ( or not ) - but if the general power is restored, thats a sure indication of a faulty MAF... so try that and let me know how you get on - then we can go on...

Mike :

Best Rgds,. MIKE.........