Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

when the car starts up its loud for 1-2 seconds then goes quiet

Customer Question

when the car starts up its loud for 1-2 seconds then goes quiet when the oil is going round. It drinks oil aswell and after five mins running it is a bit lumpy on idle
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

if you've got a top-end rattle or regular ticking that increases in tempo with increasing rpm then yes I'd agree it could be a sticking valve lifter, as these use a small hydraulic piston to take up the valve clearances and what can happen is the small oil ways that feed the piston chamber can get clogged up

so the 1st course of action is to try an oil flush treatment complete with a new filter and fresh oil - as you 've already done that then the next thing is to consider replacing the noisy lifters with new
as for the oil consumption issue the first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet , however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carrys oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve.