Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi there, I have a Q5 that has been in and out of the garage

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a Q5 that has been in and out of the garage over the last 3 months with the engine emission light coming on, they replaced the sensor second time round and then the loom or cable, now it has broken down and they have sent the fuel away for testing believing I had put petrol in the car instead of diesel even though I had proof that I have had not with receipts for the last 3 times I had filled up. The analysis came back saying the fuel did not meet the BS EN 590 although I had driven over 300 miles on this tank of fuel. Of course the garage are saying that this is the reason it broke down although I think this is a bit of a red herring. Cost to fix is 5K and its a lease car but all saying not there problem. Been back to BP and they have graphs etc on the fuel where I last filled up and nothing noted as being untoward. Complete stuck now and wondered if you had any advise for me.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you have any of the fault codes that have been read off?

how does the car drive with this fault?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Matt, no fault codes as the car is still in the garage and has been since it broke down and was towed their by the RAC about 6 weeks ago. The car doesn't start at all any more. They have not done anything with the vehicle as they say they can do no more investigation as it wont start and there quote is for £5k to fix all pump, injectors, fuel tank etc, and this is all based on the fuel analysis they received.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Karen

I can see why the garage is saying what they are but it seems that they're hanging their hat on this fuel analysis when it may not be the case

I'd ask if they have measured fuel pressure before and after the main pump as this can be done with the engine just cranking and will show if the the pump is faulty / damaged by contaminated fuel

I'd also suggest that the fuel tank is pumped out and fresh diesel added to dilute whats left