Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Why is my Audi a4 only reaching 60 mph and no further?

Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much matt for the advice. Sorry for the long wait in reply, I had to work over the weekend. Hopefully this issue can finally be resolved.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Glad to help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi matt
Do you think all the solutions you have supplied to my problem could be picked up on a full service?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Vincent

some aspects should be picked up like the oil condition but unless there's a fault highlighted they wouldn't run through everything I've suggested