Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an Audi A6 allroad 2.5 litre year 2000 currently on

I have an Audi A6 allroad 2.5 litre year 2000 currently on 225/55 x R17 michelin summer tyres. The registration no is X 865 WCN. I want to buy some steel wheels to fit new Michelin Alpin A5 winter tyres, but I am told I cannot get 17" steel wheels and 225/60 x 16" are recommended instead. The drivers' manuel advises fitting 16" wheels (and tyres) if one is ever likely to want to fit snow chains. It is unlikely but we live a 1000 feet up on Exmoor and sometimes a snowed in.
Will 16" wheels fit over the brake pad units?
Will a very slightly different rolling circumference affect the suspension or grip?
I would fit a full set of four.
Christopher Everard
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Christopher

unless you have aftermarket brakes iffted then the 16" wheelrim will fit over the standard audi brakes just fine

a 225/60 R16 has a rolling diameter of 2124mm compared to the 225/55 R17 diameter of 2136mm so its only 0.56% smaller

so not enough to make nay difference in terms of gearing or tyre grip

as for a winter tyre then I can strongly reccommend the Yokohama W. drive as it works very well on snow but still drives well on dry tarmac